Update 5/27: It was announced today in the RCD that the June update has been delayed until July.
Last week the Planning & Budgeting Cloud customers received the RCD for the June 2016 release. (Note: despite the official online name change from PBCS & EPBCS to Enterprise Planning Cloud, the product is still being referred to as “PBCS” in this update.) The RCD document normally arrives shortly before the upcoming month’s release. However, Oracle notably mentioned that there would be no updates for May (and now June).
Instead, a long list of new release features and updates (29 pages worth) were given. This
June July release does seem to be a major one with a couple of attractive, long-awaited features, and many fantastic enhancements. How exciting!
A summary of the new features:
- An administrator setting to switch all users to the Simplified UI by default
- New Smart View release: v220.127.116.11.600, which includes support for attribute calculations across dimensions, attribute filtering of forms, and duplicate alias support
- Name change from “Application Management” to “Migration”
- Name change from “Data Management” to “Integrations”
- Firefox ESR 45 support on both Windows and Mac (and the official comment that Firefox is the recommended web browser for both Windows and Mac)
A summary of the general enhancements:
- “Editable” dashboards – dashboards that include editable forms and ad hoc grids
- Secured dashboards – dashboards can now be assigned access to individual users and groups
- Custom shortcuts on the home page (recently used items and favorites)
- Forms, task lists, and reports can be viewed in hierarchical format (finally!)
- New right-click menu on forms which includes cell-level actions (comments & attachments)
- Customized, “navigational” flows – functional flows for users
- Support for attribute dimensions (finally!) – as a full dimension, as a filter in forms, reports, & ad hoc grids; as a dimension in ad hoc grids; also added in is Smart View support
- Locale-specific artifact labels
- “Simplified” multicurrency option when creating applications; this is interesting – it avoids creating the usual HSP_Rates dimension and instead creates a Currency dimension with the exchange rates stored in the Account dimension with a list of pre-defined hierarchies and members
- Creation of smart lists based on dimension hierarchies, which allows for dynamic smart list updates based on member updates
- Web form grid property that allows auto-syncing to the start and end periods defined within the Scenario dimension; all other time periods outside of the defined open range are suppressed
- New “clear cube” action that allows for partial clearing of both BSO and ASO cubes; these can also be scheduled with the job scheduler
- Data mapping support for dense dimensions that have smart lists associated with them
- Drill down on shared parent’s children (finally!)
- User variable range definitions that can restrict user value choices based on member functions
- Support for range values within sub vars (e.g. FY16:FY20)
- Option to hide the save confirmation message
- Duplicate alias support (for: duplicate member name and alias, aliases on members that are both parent and children, and duplicate names for members from different dimensions or the same dimension when not siblings of each other). Member names are still required to be unique.
- Import Metadata Smart View support for Microsoft Word
- Planning Admin Extension added support for the Time Period dimension and attribute dimensions
- New application access control feature which allows admins to assign application roles directly from the Console (instead of through My Services)
- Movement of LCM migration functionality to the Console icon
- New REST API’s that allow for imports, exports, and clears of data slices
Calculation Manager enhancements include:
- Redesigned metadata loop component; ability to create templates using scripts
- New and revised system templates for amount unit rates, allocations, and copy data
- New support to create step validation errors and warnings
- Ability to create variables anywhere that the variable selector is available (finally!)
- Support for attribute dimensions in the variable designer
- Condition builder for debugging issues
- Log Message tab now available for viewing even after the Calc Manager times out and closes
- Ability to use the Member Selector to create MDX syntax and validation before running a partial database clear
- 20 new design-time prompt functions
- 6 new design-time prompt types
- New design-time prompt grid for custom-defined templates
- 100+ new CDF’s (bitwise, counter, date/time, financial, math, statistical, and string)
In addition, it’s mentioned that Enterprise Planning & Budgeting Cloud (formerly known as EPBCS) will be available by this release. This product has been delayed a couple of times – it will be good to see it in all of its glory.
Finally, it’s mentioned that there were no updates to the Standard/Workspace interface. This further supports the idea that the Simplified UI is the way to go (at least, as much as is possible).
Once the RCD is available online, I’ll link to it here.